Leveraging API function

Hi there,
I am wondering if anyone exercised the API feature from Release 24. I have created API user credentials with White IP as 4.4.4.4 as it does not allow to enter any other IP under Org Admin. I have provided a couple of widgets
My question is if some organization like to connect using SQL Server or Tableau for an example, how do they set up the REST API at their end.
There are so many articles on REST API. I myself used JSON previously and also leveraged Linux host, tnsora files but forgot the configuration on how to configuration application at my end that sends API request to REBUS back-end.
Regards,
KetanM.

Hi Ketan, I’ll reach out to you on your API questions.

Thanks, Ron Krisak

This coming week will be making the documentation and video example available on the rebus support center.

When going through the doc, there are few things worth knowing…

First, I would just like to give a brief explanation of how this functionality works. When a user creates a widget, they are creating 2 components. The first part is the query. The part where Rebus retrieves the data. The second part is the creation of the visualization where the data turns into a graph or chart. The way this api functionality works is upon making api the request, it will execute the query portion of the widget and return the data the api requestor. This means that that before the api call can work, a widget must be created and active.

Note: this next part is described in the documentation.

As for the execution of the api, there are also two component parts to this activity. Two api requests are required. The first is an api “POST” request for authentication (username/password). If authentication passes (Response code: 200), then the second request (api “GET”) for the data can be sent. If successful, the data for the second call will be returned with a response code of 200. The format of the data will be JSON. Once authentication has passed, you do not need to continually resend the authentication api for every request. The authentication portion , would have granted you a session, and this session can be used for subsequent data requests without re-authentication. The session however will expire after a certain amount of time of inactivity. Once the session expires, re-authentication is required.

In the documentation, we demonstrate the functionality using a very common tool called Postman. It can be downloaded and used for free for purposes of testing this functionality. Another way to test this would be to use a tool called curl.

The concept demonstrated in this documentation is very standard and common practice, and although I am not certain, the functionality should exist in systems like Tableau, Qlik, Power BI, Data Lakes, certain databases, etc. If this capability does not exists in the system you want to move data to, then you would need to develop a very simple program, in any language that supports api interfacing to retrieve the data from Rebus and deposit it somewhere for ingestion by your system.

2 Likes

Thanks Gerry. We will exercise the options based on the information and document provided.

Regards,
ketanM.

1 Like

Hello Ketan,

You can find documentation related to setting up and using the Rebus API here:

https://longbow.rebusap.com/helpcenter/API.html

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Have a great day,

2 Likes

Hi All,
Is there any documentation specific to connecting Power BI to Rebus? I’m hitting error messages when trying to connect.
Thanks,
Laurence

Hi Laurence,
The solution is generic. The requirements to connect to Rebus through an API are pretty basic.

Process

1. Send and HTML Request for login.
  2. Upon successful authentication send an HTML request for data.

Power-BI needs to be able perform these tasks.

If Power BI can do this and you are already at this point could you please post the error you are getting?

Thanks
Gerry

1 Like

Hi Gerry,
I’m receiving the attached error message. There’s a decent chance that I’m doing things wrong at my end though. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Hi Laurence,

What is the endpoint resource (e.g api.longbow.com/login) and method (e.g POST) are using when you’re getting that error message?

Thanks,
Nima